So, after two weeks of suffering, the final edit on my first novel is finished.
I can honestly say that I’m glad that I did it. The novel is stronger, the plot flows better, and the characterization and world-building are more complex.
Of course, at the time, it felt like someone was driving red-hot needles into my brain. I’d open Word, find the page I’d last worked on, and then look for typos, continuity errors, or poor grammar. And I’d find . . . that it needed another entire scene of 1000 words, which had to be tied in with re-writes of the surrounding material, and then had to be followed up by another new scene on the next page.
My brain burned.
It’s all over now, though. The only problem remaining is a single “highlight” that I forgot to take out, which I’ll fix up as soon as I’m done blogging here. Its done. It’s better. It’s even, dare I say it, good.
Now I just have to find someone willing to represent me so they can find someone willing to publish it. I’ve finished the query letter and two different synopses. I’ve given it a strong resolution and lots of action. I think it has a lot of humor in it. People have laughed, which is always nice to hear. At least, if they’re laughing with you and not at you . . ..
I feel a lot better about the novel. I’ve done everything that I can think to do to make it a fun read. Now I just have to find a way to get it into people’s hands so they can enjoy it. 🙂
But, boy, I am not looking forward to editing the next novel, and I haven’t even written it yet! These rewrites can give you a trauma for life.